POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : render time decay revisited.... : Re: render time decay revisited.... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: render time decay revisited....
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 1 Jul 1999 12:22:59
Message: <377b93bf.459452@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:56:47 +1000, "Martin Crisp"
<Spa### [at] tesseractcomau> wrote:

>Hi Ho,
>
>thought I posted this last night from home, but I can't see it on the
>server this morning (at work)...

[snip]
>A typical frame renders in under 30 seconds. If I leave POV rendering
>frames, by the time it's done 50 that's become a minute, by 300 frames
>it's more like 4 minutes. Quitting, re-launching and re-rendering the
>*same* frame shows that it's not a difference between frames causing the
>slowdown (time drops to about 30seconds again).
>
>In the original render decay thread Ken someone (not Tyler) commented
>that as far as he knew it was a Windows only problem - not so: 3.1g on a
>PowerMac (sys 8.6 qt 4.0, 30MB RAM allocated to POV-Ray - using nowhere
>near this much, other apps open but idle (i.e. should be constant load))

IMHO it sounds like the Mac you're using has enough similarities to
Windoze to suffer some similar problems. I'd imagine that there's some
grabage management/memory management that's suffering slowdown because
POV isn't releasing enough CPU power to the OS. If I'm roughly right
then the only way to improve consistency would be to lower your
render's priority - which may or may not end up in a slower overall
render time.

Myself I render in batches partly because a lot of my frames take
hours to render. I have .ini file settings which allow one PC to work
on a hundred frames or so while another PC works on a different
subset.

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/7855/
PS change ".duffnet" to ".net" if replying via e-mail